Thursday, June 16, 2005

Silver Linings

Though I often come across as a pessimist (or, as an old boss once said, "I'm not a pessimist, I'm a realist"), the optimistic tendencies I inherited from my mum mean I'm a firm believer in the fact that some good comes of everything. I finish work here four weeks today, and though it means I'll need to find a decent job ASAP if I'm to keep with my long-term plan, there's still some good in the situation. First, it means I can get out of this company which I'm really beginning to detest and which I feel has been using me as near-slave-labour from day one, and secondly my boss is one of the few decent people in the corp and thus didn't bat an eyelid when I asked for Friday 8th off work without having to use up any holiday.

Friday 8th being, coincidentally, the day of the NIN gig in Birmingham, for which Pete, Vixel and I have tickets. :D

Thus the last two weeks of my contract are four days apiece, and due to lieu-pay for unused holiday, I'm effectively being paid up until the end of July. As such I don't really have to start worring about needing to be employed until the start of August. And I guess I could also claim unemployment benefits for the two weeks up until then.

So the question is, as always, where to go from there. I'm bound to Loughborough for another year and, assuming I find employment at a similar pay level, probably another year after that. At that point I guess I'd probably have enough money to be able to comfortably apply for the JET programme or other teaching-English-in-Japan job. However, that's a long way off, and a lot could happen between then and now. I'm coming around to the opinion that my ideal plan for the future is one of flexibility. In the intervening time I might catch a flash of inspiration, write my magnum opus, get published and become a successful novelist, or I could get an IT job somewhere and end up being put through Uni again. I could be offered a job in a different city and find myself moving again, making new friends and aquaintances, or I could end up back in Holland. I could find a soulmate and end up raising a family, or I could cut loose and start all over again. All of that could happen, or none of it. Two years is quite a lot of time.

Right now, however, I'm surprisingly content. I've got a bunch of good friends who I wouldn't trade for anything or anyone else, and I've got the enviable chance to stop for a second, catch my breath and take stock of my situation. It's not often anyone gets that chance, and I hope to make the best of it.

Song for the day: Time Stand Still by Rush; not only one of my favourite songs on one of my favourite albums, the lyrics are rather appropriate.

1 Comments:

Blogger Vixel said...

Y'know I'm not sure I've actually heard that song. I might have to raid your CD collection sometime as old man-ish as it is :P

8:23 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home