Tuesday, May 31, 2005

Where the hell is Chiba?!

OK... Let's start with what I drank last night. It started with the bottle of Kriekbier I had with my steak dinner (peppercorn sauce is inherently good, I might add), and was swiftly followed with a pint of Tiger bitter in the Nuns. By that time I had company- Vixel, Dave-Death and Metal-Luke, and given that it was a nice day and I was in a good mood, I decided to partake of a pitcher of the pub's patented cocktail variously known as Smurf's Arse or Wipeout.

Now, I know it contains at least a double brandy, a double vodka, a double blue curacao and two bottles of Smirnoff Ice, topped up to four pints with ice, fruit and lemonade. I also know that it's a somewhat silly idea to drink three pints of this stuff through a straw. Unfortunately, knowing something isn't always enough to dissuade someone from doing something.

Being a Bank Holiday the pub shut at half-ten and, somewhere along the line, it was decided the night was still young enough for one more drink. So we headed to the News House across town, which I must admit I've never actually been in before. We had more cocktails, specifically Black Russians. While I'm normally all for bars that deal with measures by eye, I maintain these things involved significantly more of a bottle of Kahlua than I should be drinking before an 0730 alarm. Again, good spirits got the better of good judgement.

And thus, when I crawled out of bed at approaching 8am this morning, I decided in future I should listen to my conscience more often. ;-)

It was, however, a good night.

Having drunk that much, one can guess I wasn't fully awake when I trudged downstairs this morning to find an airmail envelope on the carpet, addressed to me.

Apparently I've grown a penfriend.

After a few bemused seconds it all started to click back into place. Back when I did Japanese evening classes I put my name down for a pen-pal programme, which I thought little of afterwards. Fast forward eighteen months to the letter now in my possession from a girl in Chiba named Momoko. I suppose I'd better start thinking of interesting things to say about myself... :-)

Song for the day: Big In Japan by Guano Apes. No real reason, I just thought the title was apt...

5 Comments:

Blogger Vixel said...

Y'see, last night put me in the mood for pub-crawlage. What would you say to a mini-crawl on friday finishing up at someone's house with yet more booze? I wanna go to the newshouse again, black russians rule. (either that or we could just have another really pissed-up movie night :D)

.. and I'm sure you can find interesting things to tell Japanese girlies ;P

2:14 pm  
Blogger Union Jackal said...

That sounds like a plan. :D
I'd advise against the News House on a Friday night, however- most of the pubs down that street are going to be absolutely rammed. We could just go halves on a bottle of Kahlua and a bottle of Vodka...

2:31 pm  
Blogger Vixel said...

Good plan dear boy, good plan! I shall bring the fucked up Japanese movie-ness!

If I have the energy I might even invade your kitchen beforehand and answer the challenge :P (I have good feelings about this sukiyaki steak I plan to cook tonight :D)

Muahahaha, I'm almost tempted to get wasted tonight now...

2:51 pm  
Blogger Union Jackal said...

Leave yourself at least some liver for the weekend, Vixchan! ;)
And dammit, you're making me hungry now... *Watches clock*

3:03 pm  
Blogger Vixel said...

I like alcymahol dammit! :P I think I'm starting to enjoy getting pissed in a good mood a little too much. (hmm I have port and whiskey...)

I'd offer to answer the challenge tonight... but I have doctor who to watch, and I generally can't be arsed :P Effort is evil, and besides, the steak I intend to use this evening is frozen, so it won't be as utterly amazing as it usually is :P

3:12 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home