Friday, May 27, 2005

My thumbs have gone weird!

My brain is slowly pulling itself back into a semblance of order after last night's festivities. The night itself wasn't heavy, it's the lack of sleep between crawling in at some unearthly hour and my alarm going of at a slightly later unearthly hour that's making for conclusive proof of the non-existence of any God. However, I'm enough of a masochist to say that I enjoyed every minute.

Normally Thursday night is Subversion at the Students' Union, which I'd in most cases attend until about midnight before heading home, checking my downloads and grabbing enough sleep to survive the next day. However, on this particular Thursday Vicki had just been informed that she's been accepted onto the Publishing-with-English course (woo!), and as such she decided to get happily ratted on, first, half a bottle of port, and second, a number of vodka-and-red-bulls which I gave up counting. As the night progressed I decided I was having too much of a good time to leave, and that as I had sod-all to do in the office today I may as well continue enjoying myself- especially with the forthcoming bank holiday weekend to recover in. And so we stayed, I continued to drink G&Ts and we finally staggered out at 2am.

By this point Vicki was incapable of walking in a straight line (though at least kept the ability to talk, something Graeme always managed to lose before locomotion), so Pete and I decided unanimously to make sure she got home OK. The walk took about three quarters of an hour, and thankfully did not again involve me getting attacked by a drunken goth girl wanting to put my hair in a topknot. ;)

The walk back home from there took until about quarter-past-three, Vicki living in my old digs on the far side of town from, well, pretty much everything else. By the time we got back, sleep was the only plan I had left. Unfortunately a slight case of insomnia kicked in, and I found myself drifting in and out of sleep until about six, where I finally managed to doze off properly. My alarm goes off at seven-thirty. :(

And thus I'm in the office, writing this for a lack of anything else to do and wondering how many more of these mochas it'll take before my eyes settle on the same focal distance. Methinks tonight will involve crashing-out as soon as I get in, though I suppose I'll have to be slightly sociable at least- we've got Graeme as usual for the weekend (and probably Monday as well, given his propensity to put off returning to Derby for as long as possible, not that I blame him), as well as Pete's mum coming to visit. The house is (still) a bombsite, but I'm not in a position to do anything about that. Besides, I cleaned the sink this morning, I guess I can count that as my contribution. ;)

Finally, then, a question for the day (posed to me last night): Everyone's got to have at least two things about themselves and/or their abilities they're proud of. What are yours?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home