Monday, May 30, 2005

Out Of Character

I tend to treat weekends as time to rest and recuperate from the strains of a job which, if not for those weekly periods of respite, probably drive me to any number of psychoses. Bank Holiday weekends are doubly special, as they net me extra time to be myself aside from the coveted paid holiday allowance.

This one has seen me somewhat out of character, in that I slept through most of it. By the time I got in on Friday night, I was shattered and, once Graeme had shipped off to TKD I decided to grab a couple of hours shuteye. That, of course, wasn't to be. First NAFA-Andy came round to collect the bass amp Graeme was selling Jaxx, and following that I had to help Ed cook a chili (I swear that boy will kill himself by culinary disaster one of these days). It wasn't long after that point thet Graeme returned.

We've now found the downside of Graeme's new and laudable tee-total ways: he's hyperactive. As soon as he was in he booted up Half Life on my PC and remained playing that (with a fifteen-minute break for food) until about 2am. I attempted to doze off on the bed throughout- I hadn't the energy to evict him (and I could probably have heard him downstairs anyway).

Saturday was essentially a repeat performance. Charlie showed up on the premise of picking up a disc from Ed, and two episodes of Doctor Who, an order-out for pizza and the decimation of a cheesecake later the bunch of them discovered the comedy potential of spoons. Thankfully Saturday afternoon saw Graeme picking up a copy of Fable for the XBox, which he proceeded to play until the wee hours of the morning both Saturday and Sunday. The advantage of that is that the XBox is in the living room, thus I managed to escape and alternate between reading The Diamond Age by Neal Stephenson (fantastic book, but a lot heavier-going than Snow Crash) and dozing again.

The only real difference with Sunday were the couple of hours I took to clean the kitchen, properly for a change. I don't think it ever occurred to anyone else to clean under the microwave turntable before, and halfway through doing so I wished it hadn't occurred to me either. But it's all done now, so unless Ed cooks for us again we won't be in danger of food poisoning any time soon. ;-)

Which brings us to Monday. I'm beginning to wake up a bit now. Graeme left at lunch to go watch Star Wars Ep3 with Kat, and I took the time to catch up with the eighteen-plus months of MegaTokyo I hadn't read. I like that comic, especially now that Piro's moving away from the traditional gag-a-day format most WCs follow. I guess that was one of the reasons I liked Poe's comics as well- they have a narrative.

Pub this evening, which is good. Supposedly there's a RockSoc meeting in just over an hour, which I might gatecrash too. I must admit I've become increasingly bitter and cynical about RockSoc committee decisions as time has worn on, and I can see the society being in increasing danger of folding soon. Maybe the incumbent Komitet could do with a kick upside the brainpan to focus them a little better.

Song of the day: Bombshell by Poweman 5000. Makes me want to buy a bike and go night-time cycling again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home