Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Disenchantment

It's been quite a busy time over the past few days. Where to begin?
The first RockSoc event of the year had a bit of a false start. First the committee were late, then there were issues with the room booking, and problems getting the bar open. Due to the lack of publicity the vast majority of our usual clientele were absent, so when we rolled round to my set it turned out the only thing that would get people on the dancefloor was old-school eighties metal, of which there were about half a dozen serviceable tracks in the RockSoc collection. In all I felt my set went down like a bit of a brick parrot, so not the greatest start to the RockSoc year for me.
Closer to the present, Rob turned up over the last weekend and convinced a load of us out to Leicester to see Corpse Bride. I've never seen a bad movie with either Johnny Depp or Tim Burton involved, and this one certainly didn't break that mould. Some great macabre humour and solid voice performances alongside stunning visuals- Burton's crew are on an equal footing with Aardman for stop-motion animation, I have no doubt.
The next day (Saturday) saw Rob, Vicki, Vicki's very Northern coursemate Stacey and myself trawling into Nottingham for the CAMRA beer festival. I like beer festivals, even if this time around I was somewhat conservative with my choice of drinks. Beer is good.
This Monday saw another chapter of the Decline Of RockSoc- the AGM. The chair was late, the room wasn't booked (and was in use) and the vice-chair didn't show at all. Great start. The committee didn't have an agenda for the meeting, and failed to keep any semblance of order throughout. Add to that the fact that Jake and PunkMatt pretty much took over, tried to vote on a new committee position (Freshers' Rep) and put PM in the role (a bloody stupid idea in my book- the job description was pretty much what the rest of the committee should be doing as a matter of course), and it pretty much ended up a debacle. It was painful to watch, and more and more I'm beginning to feel ashamed to be a part of the society. It's in a worse state than it was when I came to Loughborough, and that's saying something.
Did a trawl of the agencies today, mainly to remind them that I'm still more than interested in work. Two were somewhat helpful- mainly because they actually had jobs listed that I could express an interest in- though JR Personnel told me rather bluntly that they didn't have any jobs for people without personal transport. It's a vicious circle- I really need to be able to drive to get a decent job, and I can't afford to even think about learning to drive, much less acquire and insure a vehicle, without a job. I've been out of work for over three months now, and my financial reserves are steadily petering out. If I don't get a job soon, it's going to become difficult to countenance staying here in Loughborough. I can no longer afford to go with the Japan plan, probably not for a good two or three years (assuming I got a job with a salary like the one I used to have for the duration), so the future looks somewhat bleak at the moment.
In short then, aside from good times with great friends (who, between them all, are the biggest ray of sunshine in my day), there's a fair degree of suckage in life at the moment, and it's taking its toll. Ah well, it's my birthday this weekend, for which we're going to Alton Towers (a happy coincidence). Hopefully that'll give me something to smile about for a change...

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Aw, sounds like a sucky start to term, though an eighties metal set doesn't sound too bad to me.
RockSoc will trundle along quite happily without us old-timers.
Good luck in finding a job soon, what is it you're looking for at the moment, or is it just a case of anything-that-comes-along? I'll be in a similar predicament when I get back.

Hope you have a great birthday this weekend, woo, Halloween!
Try not to scream too much like a girl on the rides ;)

9:41 am  
Blogger Union Jackal said...

At the moment I'd prefer an IT or Clerical-based position in Loughborough that pays £13k or more per annum and doesn't stretch outside office hours, though I'll take pretty much anything I can get that pays enough to live on.
Thanks for the birthday wishes- I'm sure I won't scream too much; after all, I've been in the car with your brother. ;)

7:05 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home