Friday, June 24, 2005

Meanwhile, Back In Gotham City...

It occurs to me I haven't done an update post on here for... at least a week, maybe more. I could take the easy option and say that nothing of note had happened, but that would be just that- too easy, and more to the point untrue.

Last Thursday was Rob's leaving do, held at The Swan and one of the town's myriad Indian restaurants. Funnily enough it's the first Indian meal I've actually gone out for since coming to Loughborough. In any case, the evening started by sharing half a bottle of Port with Vicki before the meal. The meal itself was pretty damned tasty, and couldn't have been to send off a better bloke.

The evening was rounded off with a few drinks at the Swan In The Rushes (which apparently has Leffe on tap for the season, which is good) before heading back to Park Road (I'd ended up carrying most of Vicki's stuff on account of her not having a bag or pockets) for impromptu TV-age- specifically, episodes of Neverwhere and Doctor Who. A good night was had by all.
I managed about three hours sleep before the weather, insomnia and illness combined to turn me into death warmed up by the time my alarm rang. A quick crawl out of bed to deactivate it and an email to the office, and I took the day off sick.

A day off was just what I needed- chance to relax. With Pete gone and Ed in wind-down after finishing his last bits of work, the house was rather quiet- of course I know that won't and will never last, so I made the most of it by consuming Lemsips and recharging my metaphorical batteries before the now regular fixture of Friday night movies and chatting until the small hours of the morning.

Saturday we collected Charlie and Vicki from town and proceeded to ransack Sainsburys for the ingredients of one of Vicki's culinary masterpieces. Her original idea was to do some sort of chicken-in-port thing, but that fell by the wayside in favour of a considerably easier lemon chicken. Though it involved the near-destruction of the kitchen (though admittedly, given the size of our kitchen and the amount of stuff in it, so can making a bowl of breakfast cereal), the meal was wonderbaar. I have had to grudgingly accept that Vicki and I are probably as good as each other on the cooking front. The Saturday party broke up slightly after dawn, and was followed on Sunday afternoon- once we'd had a little sleep- by a few drinks in town and watching Batman Begins- a stonking film let down only by the current weather being waaay too hot to be cooped up in an non-air-conditioned fleapit like the Curzon.

Monday saw a change from the usual pace of our week in that we ended up at Pete and Shellie's place for a dancemat-and-movie party. Before that Vicki turned up on our doorstep (she's here more than the actual tenants, I swear!) for consumption of Black Russians and watching Equilibrium. I do like that film- all the good combat scenes of The Matrix but with a decent plot and good acting behind it. Wednesday was the new Friday, with Vicki once again invading our kitchen to make Sukiyaki steak noodles (absolutely gorgeous, possibly better than the lemon chicken) before the world and his wife arrived to watch Gladiator and Family Guy. Another pitcher of Black Russian was consumed- my poor, poor liver! But, as with the previous nights, a great time amplified by even better company.

Yesterday I got the day off again- it was the annual all-staff meeting which, given recent changes in the directorship, was held in Cheltenham and was an all-day affair. I managed to talk my manager into releasing me from it on the grounds that I'm only here for three more weeks and thus could spend my time more productively elsewhere. I spent much of it in bed. ;)

In the evening I offered to help Vicki pack- having seen the state of her room I realised what a big job it's going to be, and given the fact that her stairs are like the North face of the Eiger I figured it'd be a better idea to help out rather than just heckle on MSN. We got sod-all done in the end- both of us mainly just looked at the mounds of stuff and wondered where to start. It's one of the reasons I hate moving- I have far too much stuff to be easily relocated between houses. Hell, the fridge alone causes enough problems. In the end we endded up watching a documentary on the London Underground and a couple of eps of Knightmare before Vixchan decided sleep would be a better idea. Assuming Andy's farewell barbeque doesn't go ahead, I can see a similar night of festivities ahead...

Song of the day: BYOB by System Of A Down; the new album's not as much of a cancer-cure as everyone makes it out to be, but it certainly has some incredbly good moments on it.

Countdown: 78 days until next NL holiday. :D

3 Comments:

Blogger Vixel said...

I'll make the sukiyaki from scratch sometime, it's uber. *nods* It would also have been even yummier with nicer steak. My Cajun chicken rocks also *nods*

Yep, it's official, I'm moving into yours. (except for cooking, cooking can be done at mine). Since you won't let me steal the Cthulhu, I'll just have to come visit him lots :P

3:13 pm  
Blogger Vixel said...

... however you shall have to wait until Sunday for Cajun chicken as it looks like the bbq is on. Score!

3:23 pm  
Blogger Union Jackal said...

Or not as the case may be... ;)

3:59 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home